Apple Walnut Quinoa Salad
1 cup quinoa
2 apples cored and chopped
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup walnut pieces
2-3 Tbsp minced red onion
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 Tbsp EVOO
1 1/2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar (or substitute. I used coconut nectar)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook quinoa according to the package directions. Drain as much water off as possible. Blot if needed.
2. Transfer the quinoa to a serving bowl to cool.
3. Meanwhile, combine the apples and lemon juice in a large bowl and toss to coat.
4. Add celery, walnuts, onion and parsley. (I omitted the onion and parsley because I knew my kids wouldn’t eat it.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar/substitute, salt and pepper.
6. Add the quinoa to the salad mixture and pour on the dressing. Toss well.
Refrigerate until ready to use, or serve immediately.